Subject: Just the Facts
Just the Facts about Identity Theft
- A new identity fraud victim is hit every two seconds in America
- Average financial loss per reported incident $4,930
- Number of Identity Fraud Victims Rose to 13.1 Million
- Dramatic Increase in Account Takeover
- Data Breaches Become Even More Damaging
- Fraudsters use Stolen Information with eBay, PayPal, Amazon and other Internet Accounts
Types of identity theft and the percentage reported (showing a large number of non-reported incidents)
- Misuse of existing credit card: 64%
- Misuse of other existing bank account 35%
- Misuse of personal information 14%
Who has the highest risk of falling victim of ID Theft?
- College Students
Ways to keep your identity from being “hijacked,” and to assist you if you have been a victim of it:
- Protect your Social Security number (SSN), credit card and debit card numbers, PINs (personal identification numbers), passwords and other personal information.
- Protect your incoming and outgoing mail.
- Keep your financial trash “clean.”
- Keep a close watch on your bank account statements and credit card bills.
- Avoid identity theft on the Internet.
- Exercise your new rights under FACTA to review your credit record and report fraudulent activity.