Prevention is key and there are ways you can protect yourself. Knowing how identity thieves obtain your information and taking steps to ensure you safe guard your personal and sensitive information will greatly decrease your chances of becoming a victim of identity theft.
How to protect yourself:
- Obtain and review credit reports every three months.
- Maintain a 90 day fraud alert with each of the credit bureaus as added security against the opening of new accounts under your personal information.
- Stop receiving pre-approved credit card offers by “opting out” at www.optoutprescreen.com
- Place passwords on all financial bank accounts, credit cards, and utility accounts.
- Obtain a locking mailbox or be sure to remove mail from box daily.
- While on the internet do not click on unidentified links in emails and websites.
- Use an anti-virus software on personal computer and laptops to prevent hackers from accessing your hard drive.
- Give your SSN only when absolutely necessary. Sometimes businesses want your SSN for simple record keeping. Ask to use other types of identifiers when possible.
- Do not put your SSN on your checks and don’t let a merchant do it either.
- Do not carry your social security card in your purse or wallet; leave it in a secure place.
- Ask businesses not to print your SSN on documents sent through the mail.
- Do not list sensitive information on social networking sites like MySpace, Facebook, or LinkedIn.
- Shred all sensitive information using a cross cutting shredder.
Although you can take the necessary precautions listed above to help prevent identity theft, the reality is you can never entirely prevent identity theft. With the thousands of data breaches reported in the news daily of the most common businesses we shop at, it is virtually impossible to prevent your identity from being stolen! That is why we offer our complete hands-off recovery service, so that in the event your identity is stolen we are here to restore your good name and give your family peace of mind!
– See more at: http://richmoyer.safeidtrust.biz/recoveryandrestoration/?mitem=27072#sthash.T3oGqA29.dpuf
Get the details on my website:
Independent Agent Safe ID Trust